*~Surviving Sheena~*

*~Surviving Sheena~*

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Red Shouldered Hawk

So, I just got home from work, which wasn't that much like work since I am in training for a new project, and we played taboo and name that song.. which was a blast btw, anyway, I just got home... On my walk to my doorway on the railing of the balcony was a Red-shouldered-hawk.



not this one, i didnt get a pic :( but it looked very similar!

At first I thought it was clutching an egg, so I stopped not sure if this animal would be aggressive or what (hey you ever seen birds the horror flick ... ya don't laugh at me), so I just kinda stood there, turned off my mp3 player (no i don't have an ipod  or worse an iphone, get over it), and just stared at it.  Guess what, it stared back, and then after about 2 minutes, which felt like an eternity, the bird seemingly flew away. So I continued on across the long balcony to my door and looked left before unlocking my door and there on the railing was the same hawk still clutching the dead thing, or so I thought. Then the bird lifts its leg and I see it wasn't holding the dead thing it was stuck on it. It kept lifting its leg as if to show me... I felt so bad, I didn't know what to do, and I know birds carry diseases and stuff so I was being a bit paranoid.

I am a big softy though, so I felt really bad, I still do... so I googled pictures until I found out what kind of bird it was, and then searched the net for what to do, and didn't find too much. So I called the local wildlife shelter and reported what I had seen and told them I wasn't sure if I needed to report it or what.  The lady was a bit short like talking to a Financial Services Rep for a Cellular Company about a late bill or something (not that I would know what that is like or anything hehe) but I gave her as much details as I could, but when I checked outside again the bird was gone :(  She said they couldn't do anything unless I could find it and then call them to get it.  So I said I would if I saw it again.  I looked around the complex but no such luck *pouty lip* I hope the bird is okay and I hope you all send your best wishes to it too :D I am going to call it Little red on account of its shoulders, and remember it fondly :D

That reminds me of a time when I was a kid though, and I lived in the desert because apparently my family was homeless, even though I didn't really know that at the time. We lived in a bus converted into an RV with one bedroom and a small closet size shower/toilet ( you cant even call it a room), and a table that converted to a kind of bed.

Anyway down the trail from us was another ah campsite if you will, and this guy lived there who had a big dog. I mean a huge bullmastiff (or bull massive as I called them at the age of 8)...


no not that cute lil guy... awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww



ya a bit more like this guy... they are giants'... omg he is taller there than I am now... legs same length I think lmao!!!!

Anyway so My father made friends with the guy and was over there with my brothers, and I was alone at our camp... so I was bored and decided to go over there... I knew about the dog, and have always been good with animals, but this dog was huge and usually was kept on a short leash as he tended to be an aggressive dog I guess.

So, I am walking along the trail staring at the ground as I tended to do in my shy days, when I looked up and saw this massive beast just sitting there like....


like that guy ^ up there....

and I just stopped about ten feet from him, struck with the kind of fear only an 8yr girl can have... and tried to stay calm.   I was eight though, and curious, and thought somehow I was special or something I am sure... so when the dog didn't do anything but stare at me I decided to get on his level (not physically the thing was as tall as me when sitting) and so I sat down also.  Then I sort of just started talking, I don't remember what I said, just that it was probably a bunch of nonsense in very gentle tones.

Wouldn't you know it.... my heart beat raced like a jackhammer on crack as that dog stalked right up to me and licked my face with a tongue nearly as wide as my head! I wrapped my arms around him and we were best friends for that moment... awww I know right... Well I stood up and we walked back to his camp together and you bet the adults about shat themselves! It was glorious and I never forgot it... as you can see :)

Well thats enough babbling for now, have a fun night ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment